Wednesday, July 05, 2006

The Importance of Proof: Your Portfolio Page

It's one thing to tell your potential customers that you have the greatest item or service of its kind. But it's even more effective to SHOW them.

That fact became very clear to me recently when I started tracking the actions of my website visitors and monitoring how they use my site. I always knew that, for content writers, designers, artists, architects etc, having a portfolio page that showcases past work is extremely important. But when I looked at what my site visitors were doing, I was amazed.

After landing on the home page, the majority of my visitors clicked to my Portfolio. That was NOT what I expected. I figured they'd either jump to my copywriting services page or those who needed reassurance would look at my testimonials. But I was wrong.

And that has given me a whole new appreciation for the importance of proving your stuff -- regardless of what you're selling -- and putting that proof in an obvious and accessible location on your site.

I'll be writing more about how to create an effective and persuasive portfolio page in the days ahead. Stay posted for a link, coming soon to this spot.

In the meantime, check out this new article if you're thinking about going freelance or starting your own business:

"Taking The Fear out of Freelancing: Is Self-Employment Right for You?"

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home